LACPATRICK’S DAIRY HISTORY
From similar beginnings, Ballyrashane and Town of Monaghan Co-ops each has their own rich dairy history:
Town of Monaghan Co-Op, now Monaghan Creamery
Town of Monaghan Cooperative & Dairy Society Ltd was founded in 1901, and was based on Dawson St. in Monaghan town. The company moved to the Coolshannagh premises in the ’50s, and by 1969 had installed a modern Tetrahedron Milk carton machine. The ’70s and ’80s saw rapid growth with new products like yoghurt being marketed through high-profile TV and radio, as well as new cutting-edge new machinery being installed. Champion Milk and associated products became a household name during this period.
The late ’80s and ’90s saw the company develop significantly, with the purchase of the Strathroy NI milk pool, Macrus Distribution, Dublin and the milk drying facility Leckpatrick in Artigarvan, Co Tyrone.
The Monaghan Creamery is the home to significant cultured dairy, butter and milk processing facilities, and supplies branded and private label products to many leading Irish retailers.
Ballyrashane Co-op, now Ballyrashane Creamery
From small beginnings with just one product and three employees, the company expanded to include a substantial liquid milk business, and a 35,000 sq ft butter production facility, which is amongst the most advanced in Europe.
The site produces a wide portfolio of high quality products: its Ballyrashane butter is even named as an ingredient on the packaging of many loved food and brands.
In September 2012, Ballyrashane became the first dairy processor in Northern Ireland to commission an anaerobic digestion plant.
This ground breaking project has won several environmental awards.
An exciting shared future
Both companies recognised that their complementary experience, facilities and products would offer solid business opportunities in today’s increasingly competitive and global markets. A merger between the two companies was formally ratified by both sets of shareholders in July 2015 and a new name was chosen.
LacPatrick remains true to its roots, and will operate as an independent co-operative still owned by local farmers and which contributes financially, socially and environmentally to the local rural community.
Since 1896, Ballyrashane Creamery has produced award-winning dairy products from its main site close to the world famous Giant’s Causeway on the North Antrim Coast.